Because it is an unconference, all of the MinneBar sessions are presented by other attendees. That means the sessions this year will depend on who is going. To give you a flavor for what to expect, though, here are the sessions I went to last year:
- Program Your Contracts with LaTex
- Anonymity: a Real Trend or Just Hype
- A Blog is a Book is a Blog
- Lightning Sessions
- Can I Sell My Digital Stuff?
- The (A)BC’s of Corporate Blogging
You can also browse all of the sessions given at past MinneBars.
Last year was my first year at MinneBar after years of bailing at the last minute (conferences tend to bring out the introvert in me). I had a great time, met some interesting people, and left with a notebook full of ideas. I’m excited to go again this year, and I may even try to do a session myself!
If this will be your first MinneBar, here are a few tips to make for a great experience:
- Bring a bag. A small one is fine, but you will want a place to put your swag and your gear.
- Bring a sweater. Indoor temperatures can be unpredictable.
- Bring a water bottle. Although there was bottled water last year, it disappeared quickly. Bring your own water bottle to fill from the drinking fountains.
- Bring snacks (or grab some at breakfast). MinneBar is an all-day event full of thought-provoking presentations and discussions. You will get hungry. Bring a few snacks, or grab a couple pieces of fruit or granola bars if there are any left over after breakfast.
- Bring mints or gum. Just say no to conference breath.
- Bring a tablet. You will probably be looking at websites, blogs, Github, and social media profiles throughout the day.
- Get in the lunch line early. The food trucks are awesome, but the lines will be long and the food trucks may run out of the more popular options.
- Don’t hijack the sessions. Just because you are knowledgeable about a subject does not mean the audience would rather listen to you than the speaker. Keep your questions and comments short unless the speaker invites you to say more.
- Be social. MinneBar is about sharing ideas and knowledge. Don’t be shy.
I hope to see you there!
According to @minnestar, there should be plenty of food and drinks this year:
@samglover food change this year so that should go smoother! drinks will flow out all day!
— minnestar (@minnestar) March 19, 2015